Backup and Restore of Exchange 2010
The RBackup Endpoint installation includes a built-in agent to Backup/Restore Exchange Server 2010 at the mailbox-level. Users can select individual mailboxes for backup, and can further certain folders (like Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, etc) inside a mailbox as well. The agent uses ‘Exchange 2010 Cmdlets’ to export (backup) and import (restore) mailboxes from Exchange Server.
The first time backup of an Exchange Item (“Item” can be an entire Mailbox or individual folder inside a Mailbox, based on user selection) is a full backup, and then subsequent backups are Incremental, based on the last backup timestamp of the Exchange Item.
Point in time restores or complete restores of Mailbox/Folder items can be done using the Restore Interface. During Restore of an Exchange 2010 Mailbox/Item, you can choose to redirect/export the data to PST file format instead of restoring the data to Exchange Server.
Notes and caveats:
- Requires Exchange Server 2010 Service pack 2
- Selection of individual folders (i.e. Inbox, Contacts, etc) Vs entire Mailbox increases processing time, though the size of the backup will be smaller.
- Folder Items (like Junk E-Mail, Deleted Items, etc) can be excluded globally across all mailboxes.
- Registry key override is available to force a Full backup if needed.
- Requires ‘local’ temp space for temporarily copy of Exchange Data during backup and restores.
Read the entire tutorial in the attached PDF file.